a brief history.
Creamore Mill shares a historical link to wood working dating back to when corn was milled at the site. On demand, the 19th Century steamed powered mill would have been used to machine timber instead of milling flour.
Creamore Mill was established shortly before 1851 by Thomas Jebb, the son of a Whitchurch miller, according to the historian Judith Everard, researching for the Victoria County History of Wem.
By 1871 Jebb had retired from milling at the age of 41 and died in July 1875, leaving around £2,000. In 1875 it was described as a steam corn mill with a substantial residence and land.
Henry Hinton, a former employee, had taken over from Jebb as master miller. Hinton became master miller of Wem mill, and Creamore Mill was in the hands of William Wycherley. At that time, it had three pairs of French stones driven by a 12-horse power steam engine.
By 1891, Richard Wycherley was the miller and this family ownership continued into the 1930s. A 1932 map also shows a mill on Ryebank and it is this that is now known as Creamore Mill.
The mill behind Creamore Villa became Mill House Farm and at some stage in the 1930s ceased milling. The 1934 map shows the site in Ryebank as the mill at a farm owned by the Abbott brothers. The Wem historian Tom Edwards remembers grain being taken there for milling in the 1950s.
Milling may have stopped in 1960 after the death of one of the brothers, but a factory building was extended in 1961 and now houses the Creamore Mill wood turning company.